Monday, March 22, 2010

A huge heartfelt thank you

When I was working at my last company, I didn't feel fulfilled. I was happy with my job, but something was missing. It bothered me daily that what I was doing was not helping people in any way. I was doing nothing for others. I was merely using my creativity to help a team pull in ad dollars.

After three and a half months off for Kaia's birth, illness and bereavement, I went back to work for only one week. During that week, I fought with my husband over the stupidest things. We hadn't fought in probably 6 months, but we fought that whole week. I realized that then/now, more than ever, I needed to do something to help people in some way shape or form. I had no idea how to do that artistically. All I know how to do is art. I've never been good at anything else. In realizing my job was the root of the tension, I looked up to God and said "I need to find something else to do with my life. Please help me." Then I asked Kaia to help lead mommy, as well. The very next day, I was laid-off. I took it as a sign.

After spending a couple of days sulking, I got a call from my sister-in-law about a lady who was interested in selling my fabric art. At this point, I'd only done one piece for Kaia's nursery. That's all I had to show this woman in our meeting, and it was enough for her to say "let's go for it".

I spent the next month creating and wondering "will this work". I still needed to know that this new career venture would be helping others in some way. With each piece I sold, I got to tell Kaia's story. Each piece was spreading awareness of CHD. People kept saying "I've never heard of that" or "I've never been aware of that". Word spread through facebook and CHD communities, and soon I was being blessed with being able to create these pieces for kids with CHDs, for fund-raisers for CHD and for new families just finding out about CHDs. I've received letters and emails of how Kaia's story is still helping families. How all of this is inspiring parents and loved ones. This is the greatest blessing anyone can give us.

I think a parent's greatest fear is that their child will be forgotten after they pass. And you all show me on a daily basis that her life is still working wonders. She's still inspiring people, and she's still here glowing like a bright light.

As long as this can continue, I will be a part of it. This business is what I'd been missing in my career. I never thought I could help people through my own story....through Kaia's story....through my art. But it's clearly evident that I can. I feel this is one of the most important things I've ever had the chance to do, and I thank you all, from the bottom of my heart, for giving us this chance. Each person made aware of CHD is another step toward finding a cure or a prevention. Each dollar donated can be a life saved. Every little bit helps. I firmly believe that maybe one person can't make a huge difference alone, but a few people working together can change the world. It is you who is changing this world.

Thank you for remembering her, for supporting us and for helping future CHD families. Each piece of Little Lion Designs artwork will be shipped with a CHD fact sheet and what you can do to further help, if you choose.

Many blessings to all of you. 10 fold....it will come back. Thank you again!

1 comment:

  1. You have so many God-given talents and you have touched so many people's lives in such a short period of time. Your strength and drive amaze me. May you continue to teach and touch many more lives, especially through your works of art.

    ReplyDelete